Saturday

Garden2010

The growing season is here, the garden is mostly planted. We've planted a few new things this year- garlic, kohlrabi, odd melon and cucumber varieties. And some that are tried and true.


For the first time since we began growing them we are having trouble with the peas. They went in about a month late due to too much rain and really cold temps making the ground unworkable. Then it got really hot for a little while....peas don't like 80+ temps. But the few that did germinate seem to be doing okay now.


Our strawberries are coming in good....this is the first producing year for this bed and it looks to be a good one.


We got the first one yesterday and 2 more today...


But most are small and green still


I've upped my tomatoes again this year since my 25 plants from last year provided us with sauce through December and ketchup through February. I planted 42 plants this year.


One of our blueberry bushes.


And our little Meyer Lemon Tree. It'll move inside in the winter and should produce within a year.


We've also got cucumbers, carrots, radishes, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, corn, okra, red and hot peppers....and more to come as the weather gets warmer.

And the bird's nest in the bucket in the shed....this year I discovered it early and the mom is still in place. So there should be no tragedy this year.

5 comments:

  1. Jealous. That's all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking good. I think we're just doing flowers this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so jealous. We are currently in the middle of a snow storm up here in central Canada. I don't dare step out and start planting anything for at least another 2-3 weeks for fear of freezing. It makes for cabin fever let me tell you!

    But then...I don't have the yard for a garden and the city closed the community gardens two years ago for lack of interest - so they claimed (there is currently a brand new condo development going up there right now so considering it was river frontage I am thinking they were thinking about the $$$)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is fabulous! I've been talking about planting strawberries, but haven't done it yet. Where did you get the plants? And do you grow your tomatoes from seed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the plants from Gurney's last year. We've bought from them twice and have been happy both times. Yes I start my tomatoes from seed....

    ReplyDelete